The New Mexico Family Friendly Business Award was formed by the Task Force on Work Life Balance to develop an awards program that would both recognize New Mexico employers and businesses that offer family friendly employee benefits and promote increasing the number of businesses with family centered policies and workforce access to them. The purpose of the award is to recognize and support businesses that adopt and implement family friendly policies for their employees.
Gold (Top Level Award)
Recipients meet at least one family friendly policy in each of the four categories and receive the family friendly business award seal and a certificate of recognition that they can utilize in their business materials and promotion.
Silver (On the Pathway)
Recipients meet any three family friendly policies and receive the family friendly business “on the pathway” seal and a certificate of recognition that they can utilize in their business materials and promotion.
Recipients meet two or less family friendly policies and receive information and educational materials so they can continue on the path to a more family friendly business.
Award selection is based on the following family friendly policy categories:
CATEGORY ONE: Paid Leave
- Personal leave (school involvement, sick employee, training/professional development, vacation)
- Maternity/paternity leave
- Family leave (caring for aging parents, children, domestic partner)
CATEGORY TWO: Health Support
- Breastfeeding/lactation support (could include a designated area for pumping/breastfeeding)
- Healthcare (employer subsidized health or dental insurance)
- Wellness programs (such as wellness assessments, screenings, education, health coaching, organized wellness activities, onsite preventative care such as immunizations, interventions such as smoking cessation, incentive and/or paid time off for wellness activities).
- Reasonable accommodations for workers who have medical needs arising out of pregnancy (allowing to avoid heavy lifting, stay off ladders)
CATEGORY THREE: Work Schedules
- Flexible work scheduling (such as 4 10–hour days or other adjustable scheduling)
- Job Sharing (such as two or more part–time employees share one full–time position)
- Telecommuting (work from remote location at least some of the time)
- Predictable scheduling (providing at least two weeks’ notice of work schedules and/or premium pay for changes in work schedules made with short notice)
CATEGORY FOUR: Economic Support
- Higher than average wages in your industry
- Employer subsidized training/educational assistance
- Retirement/asset building available
- Employer subsidized or on-site childcare or dependent care (such as aging parents), or on/near–site childcare
We encourage you to apply for the Family Friendly Business Award and share your best practices with the community and receive recognition for your family friendly policies.
Q: Why should I apply for the Family Friendly Business Award?
A: Research indicates businesses with family friendly practices enjoy higher employee retention, improved organizational citizenship behavior and better work attitudes. In addition, these companies are generally more profitable.
Q: Won’t it cost me a lot of money to institute family friendly practices?
A: Several studies have shown that the improved financial performance of a business will make up for any additional costs.
Q: Why else is it important for me to promote family friendly practices?
A. You can help create a positive domino effect: when families are successful, businesses are successful and when businesses are successful, so is the local economy.
Q: When will I learn if I am getting the award?
A: Successful applications will be awarded live on the website immediately upon completion of the application. If you qualify, you will automatically receive an email with your badge/logo. If you do not qualify you will receive an email with information on how to improve your policies for future application.
Q: Is there any other public recognition?
A: We will have an award and media event and you will be recognized during the annual State Legislative Session. The task force will send press releases to state and local media naming the New Mexico family friendly businesses.